This is a list of resources which are useful when building an RSS/Atom aggregator. I found them useful when building FeedThing, maybe other people will too.
Expect this list to grow.
Things That FeedThing Does Correctly
- Specs and Things
- HTTP Primer
- HTTP level behaviour
- Aggregator client HTTP tests
- Determining content-encoding
- Don’t hijack referer
- Postel’s Law (see bottom)
- Strict Stripping of unsafe HTML entities
- More unsafe HTML advice
- Do not parse HTML with regexs
- Unicode for syndication consumers (Also read the comments for a long argument over the merits of this).
- RSS Security Checks
- Feed Autodiscovery
Things That Still Need Work in FeedThing
How to Explain an Aggregator